Sunday, January 6, 2013

Soup, Soup and more Soup! I love Soup!

This colder weather has inspired the soup lover in me.  I really do just LOVE soup and my little YaYa has inherited the love of it too.  This week alone I made three different soups that were all Challenge friendly.  The first two are chicken based soups so I will start by explaining my basic chicken soup recipe.
 
First of all I always use bone-in chicken thighs with the skin on.  I turn my soup pan on and heat 2 tbs of EVOO on medium flame.  Get the pan nice and hot.  Not blazing hot, but hot.  I prep the thighs with garlic sea salt (moderation peeps) and black pepper.  I sear them on both sides till they are good and browned then remove them from the pan.  Then add the chopped (large diced) yellow onion. Sautee in the pan and add a splash of white wine (2 tbs-ish).  While the onions are sauteeing take a wooden spoon and scrape up the good chicken remnants and flavor from the bottom of the pan. The onions sautee till they are translucent then add whatever other veggies are going into the soup.  Usually (for us) carrots and celery.  After 10 minutes or so I put the chicken back into the pan and pour in the stock (one container of low sodium organic chicken stock), water (2 cups), 2 minced garlic cloves, a bay leaf and cover.  Cook for one hour then remove chicken from the bone and put back in the soup.  Simmer 30 more minutes. If you want to add rice do so at the time you de-bone the chicken. Add one cup of whole grain rice and let it cook for 20-30 minutes (until tender).  Remove from the heat and serve.

Total cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Tastes even better the next day for lunch.
 
 


 
For more robust flavor you can add 1 tsp of cumin and 1 tsp of fresh cilantro.  For a kick add one fresh jalapeno diced. 
 
White Chicken Chile Ingredients
 
  • 6 chicken thighs
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1½ cups chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
  • 2 cans (about 15 ounces each) great northern beans, drained, rinsed
  • 1 can (12 to 15 oz.) corn, drained
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, optional

  •  
    
     Follow the basic chicken recipe. Add the cumin, oregano and sea salt when you pour in the stock and water.  Add the corn, beans and cilantro after an hour when you de-bone the chicken!
     

    Here is one of my favorite soups that was shared with me by our cousin Michelle in VT!

    Vegetable Barley Soup with Turkey Jalapeño Meatballs


    First, I keep home made frozen meatballs in my freezer. These are just ground turkey, chopped fresh jalapeños and egg. You can use the seeds if you want it spicier.

    I chopped onion, carrots, celery and sautéed them in a tiny bit of olive oil. Mince a few cloves of garlic into it. Add in veggie broth and diced tomato. I also added some crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil and add in frozen meatballs and barley. When barley is tender throw in some baby spinach and let it wilt. Enjoy!



     
    Sorry for all the cell phone photos.  Had I known they were going to make the blog I would have used the big camera.  Will do so from now on!
     
    Buon Apetit!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment